CARBON MONOXIDE TESTING

CARBON MONOXIDE TESTING

Often known as the ‘Silent Killer”, carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.

In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide if they are faulty and/or haven’t been serviced and can prove fatal!

Call ProRec Plumbing Solutions today to get your home tested!

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless gas. In the past decade nine Victorians have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, including brothers Chase and Tyler Robinson who died in their Mooroopna home in May 2010.

The Office of the Technical Regulator and the ProRec Plumbing team urge EVERYONE with indoor gas appliances and landlords who rent out homes withindoor gas appliances to have them serviced every 2 years to avoid this problem repeating.

A very small amount of carbon monoxide is always produced by the combustion of gas, which is safe AND if the appliance is used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and is not faulty. If a gas appliance or installation is faulty then there is a risk that very high or deadly levels of carbon monoxide may occur. There are a number of easy ways to protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning:

  1. Have gas appliances serviced at least every 2 years by ProRec Plumbing Solutions or another licensed gas fitter. Ask us, your licensed gas fitter, to also check the appliance installation at the same time.
  2. Only use the gas type that is designated for use with the appliance. For example, it is dangerous to use liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) with a natural gas appliance or vice versa.
  3. Only use the appliance for its intended purpose. For example, do not use a gas cooker to heat your home.
  4. Ensure the gas appliance has adequate ventilation to operate properly and prevent build up of any harmful products of combustion, including carbon monoxide. In most cases, the by-products produced by gas appliances are dispersed outside your home via a flue.
  5. Many households are designed to prevent draughts – if you have a natural draught flued gas heater, you may be at risk of drawing by-products of combustion (ie carbon monoxide) back into your home if you have a powerful exhaust fan operating anywhere in your home. This can also happen if the flue is partially or fully blocked
  6. Beware of carbon monoxide when using gas appliances in confined rooms without adequate ventilation eg toilets/bedrooms or caravans where the doors and windows are tightly sealed. This can be extremely dangerous.
  7. Always follow safe practices when operating unflued gas appliances, eg portable space heaters, portable gas refrigerators and stoves.
  8. Watch out for signs of incomplete combustion and possible carbon monoxide formation. Signs include:
    • an acrid smell and irritation to the eyes
    • soot or yellow/brown staining around or on the appliance
    • pilot lights that frequently blow out.
    • change in the gas flames colour – flame colour does not necessarily indicate carbon monoxide production, however if a blue flame becomes yellow, carbon monoxide production is increased.
    • Don’t risk your family’s safety, Call ProRec Plumbing Solutions today to get your home tested for Carbon Monoxide

* SATISFACTION GUARANTEED SERVICE – THE PROREC WAY